A Brief History
FROM THE 1950S INTO THE FUTURE
In 1954 the old Art School became overflow classrooms for Roomfield School, and then part of the new Secondary Modern School on Ewood Lane, now Todmorden High School. It was managed by successive Education Departments, and had a brief, but still well remembered spell as a remedial school in the late 1970s until 1982.
In recent years Todmorden High School had little use for a cold damp Victorian building and only a few classes took place here. Lack of maintenance, dry rot, damp, and little heating caused severe deterioration of the building, which was finally declared surplus to requirements. It was boarded up in 1992.
After the building was bought be a private Trust the Fielden Centre was created by local volunteers.
Ten years of restoration and refurbishment took place from 1996 to 2006, with the aid of grants from Heritage Lottery Fund, the Town Council, and many others, including local donations.
THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL BUILDING WITH SO MUCH TO OFFER
Had you ever thought about joining the members and volunteers who help to keep this Hall open for our community?
Please do consider it.